Monday, March 10, 2014

First weeks in the Machu Picchu Town

After being 10 months in Urubamba I decided to have a little change and move to another town here in the Sacred Valley. I got a job teaching English in the hotels in the Machu Picchu Pueblo also called as Aguas Calientes. The first weeks have gone fast but I have to say that this is definitely the most isolated and rainiest place I ever lived in! But I'm still enjoying it. :)


The town of Aguas Calientes is build around the famous ruins and therefore the location is also in the middle of nowhere. There are no roads to this town as it’s surrounded by big mountains and the nature reminds more of a jungle than a valley. The only transportation to this town is by train unless you want to hike about 3 hours to the next town. Before moving here I thought Urubamba is small but now I know that I was wrong. In my new hometown it takes about 15 min to walk from one side to another and therefore there’s no need for cars.


My new job is to teach English to the workers of one hotel brand. The hotel is a five start hotel and the area of the hotel is bigger than the whole town! I only have 4 classes a day so therefore I also have a lot of free time. The people I've met are all very nice and I feel welcome to the hotel. I can also eat at the hotel every day and also take part of their tours. I've already done a bird watching tour, saw bears that the hotel also has in captivity but which are rescued from other places and took part of the excursion which the hotel organizes to the local children. With the children I had a change to visit a local Inca museum and visit Machu Picchu again. Even that it was my second time at Machu Picchu, the place is always so amazing that I probably will visit there again.


On my free time I've done hikes to the surrounding areas. I hiked to the mountain called Putucusi to where you need to climb hundreds of steep stairs but the view was definitely worth it! From this mountain you can see Machu Picchu as well and it doesn't cost you anything! It’s definitely my favorite place over here.Teaching in the hotel has been fun too and the students are lovely people. I already got another job offer from a local hostel so it seems that I will be settled down well to this town. J


No comments:

Post a Comment